I think it’s a brilliant idea to get loads of backlinks by offering free web analytics. It just might not be the thing for everyone to give out link juice, as is the case for me. So I went through pretty much all the free services I could find, that give out some kind of web statistics for free. Taking note of their “sneaky backlink” methods, so that it would be easier make a conscious choice about it. Turns out, there are quite a few free ones that you don’t need give out link juice to. Either with a little tweaking or out of the box.
Note: I have nofollowed the links in the sneaky section. Har, har.
Note2: I have not included self hosted analytics, such as the amazing Piwik project.
Free Web Stats With No Sneaky Backlink
+main link is nofollow
+easy to add rel=”nofollow” to <noscript> portion of the tracking code
+no sneaky backlink. you can easily add rel=”nofollow” to the tracking code.
+no sneaky backlink. you can easily add rel=”nofollow” to the tracking code
+script generated dofollow link added, no longer nofollow 🙁
– remove link inside no script tag by editing plugin and add rel=\”nofollow\” to link
– confusing registration process
– wordpress plugin “Logaholic Live” not updated. register and download new plugin
– free version limited to one site
+ no sneaky backlink, after removing it
+ Live edition is no longer free, you must use the “Self Hosted Edition”
+ no sneaky backlink. you are free to add a rel=”nofollow” to the tracking code
– max 1,000,000 daily page views
+ no sneaky backlink.
+ wordpress plugin, but actually just copy pasting tracking code to widget is easier
+ sneaky backlink removed! Above, hilarious example of how upset people can get when their sneaky backlink trick is exposed. And how complaining about it can yield results. Join the fun!
– They removed the link after I complained, and put it back again.
+ includes a lot more than web statistics, but you can choose to enable what u need.
+ works with wordpress.com account
+ no sneaky backlink
– easy to tamper with backlinks
Free Web Stats With A Sneaky Backlink
Stuff I Never Tried
– NO demographic segments for free users
– Required that the website is registered with google webmaster tools
– If code is changed to remove back links, the web front end statistics stops working.
+ The way around it: add the code with backlinks. check your stats page. after that, remove/nofollow the links so it doesn’t complain. otherwise you loose access to stats.
Got more free web analytic services for me to try out? Please, share!